Thursday, April 23, 2015

World RX: Anton Marklund eager to shine with EKS Audi in 2015 FIA World Rallycross Championship


FIA World Rallycross Championship Press Release

One of the surprise driver moves of the off-season was announced earlier this year, with Anton Marklund moving away from his family team Marklund Motorsport to Mattias Ekstrom's EKS squad to drive an Audi S1 Quattro.

Having spent time with his new team, Marklund is confident that he is more prepared than ever and is targeting wins in the 2015 FIA World Rallycross Championship.

"I've been spending a lot of time with the team over the last few months and they're really professional. I feel really comfortable in their environment and that makes me confident for the season. Last year I was making sure that Marklund Motorsport as a team were prepared for the season and I forgot a little bit about myself; that I was in the right shape and I had done my homework about the tracks and everything else you need to do as a driver. This year I haven't had to put any focus at all on the organisational side of the team, just 100% on myself as a driver.”


In being a teammate to double DTM Champion and World RX event winner Ekstrom, Marklund feels the pressure is off his shoulders, but thinks both he and Ekstrom can be on the podium straight away from round one in Portugal this weekend. "I think pretty much all the spectators, media and people in the sport think that I am the underdog. I'm young and still quiet inexperienced, especially when you compare me to Mattias. But, I have the capacity to score wins. Portugal is a bit of a tricky track, with big kerbs and a tough first corner, but I think together with Mattias, we have the possibility to score podium finishes from the first events, starting in Portugal.

"A podium will be nice, but I'm aiming for the top step, that's my target."

Photo credit: EKS